Tuesday, October 07, 2014

The Power of the Pact

A pact is a powerful thing.  I know that when I decide to do something, I just do.  It has never occurred to me whether I should do it, or even if I can do something.  I just proceed.  I have rarely failed, and when I have failed, I have always learned something and then simply adjusted course in the grand adventure of my life and carried on.

Dad used to swear a lot.  It offended Mother and was a very bad example for all of us children.  We used to snigger, cover our ears, roll our eyes and shake our heads as mother would chide him and remind him that a gentleman simply does not do it. 

But as loving children, we did our duty and came up with suitable substitutions for him.  It became a family joke.  Our favorite was “bug guts”.  He did try.  He said bug guts a lot.  But bug guts was in addition to the eff word and a variety of other epithets.

Once the yelling and swearing commenced, children would scatter.  We would escape to a few hiding places where we could listen to our parents fight.  Or we would simply leave the house until it was over.

During one such escape attempt, Dad standing on the landing in front of the door in the entryway, Mother on the stairs above him, all children in the basement below – we attempted to slip past him and out the door.  He stopped screaming long enough to turn toward us, red faced and shouted, “Can’t you let us fight in peace”?  And then he resumed screaming at Mother.  Sufficiently cowed, we five retreated to the closet under the stairs and cuddled in the sleeping bags stored there until it was over.

After prolonged exposure to this behavior, and no matter our best efforts to avoid it, eventually we all slipped and uttered a swear word.  I still remember the shock I felt when my sister said “shit” for the first time.  And then, feeling defeated, we all had rationalized it into full blown swearing as young adults.

Let me tell you we are a loud bunch.  And we swear in each other’s company.  Dad had a prolonged trip to Bosnia compliments of the US Navy.  While there he and Elder Jeffrey R. Holland became friendly.  They baptized a guy, and they made a pact of sorts.  Dad no longer swears.  So now  of course Dad has progressed beyond us spiritually, and eschews swearing.  Furthermore, he condemns our “choice” to swear.  I have great optimism our own trajectories will be similar.

I recently re-connected with a man whom I have always revered.  He’s been a touchstone of sorts who has jerked me back onto my own path for better than half my life.  No easy task for one such as I.  I never told him really.  And I am probably an idiot for never telling him.  He was my teacher when I was a lost and lonely teen.  And he re-appeared again as my home teacher when I had made mistakes as a young woman.  He just set me aright by giving me the confidence to make counterintuitive choices, while those around me betrayed and attacked my character.  And during the 9-11 attacks he was the only American online who communicated and remained logical and supportive, while I was stuck overseas during a time of international crisis which had huge psychic impacts on one such as I.  And on the eve of my divorce he surfaced and just forced me out of the entropy that had entrapped me.   So whenever he shows up I am pretty well buggered.  When someone has that kind of power in your life, you have to answer them.  You have to adore them.  It is not a choice.  It is a deep accountability.  It defies temporal explanation.

Recently this old friend showed up after a long absence and we made a pact to stop swearing.  Except “ass” is a safeword.  After three weeks, I am confident I have replaced the old habit I inherited from Dad.  I decided not to swear.  I made a pact.  And I haven’t cussed.  I haven’t done it under the most trying of circumstances even though I desperately wanted to.  I simply decided not to because I promised my touchstone I wouldn’t.  That, and I am way better than my Dad.  That’s a fact.

No comments: