Sunday, September 21, 2014

Magic Mushroom

One night at bedtime my daughter held out her hands and asked me to hold something invisible but precious to her.  It was apparently very valuable and extremely fragile.  “Be careful!” she exclaimed, don’t drop it or get it dirty”.  I held the invisible something so gingerly while she said her prayers and slid down under the sheets.  She arranged her blankets and cuddled her stuffed monkey, and then she asked me to return it to her.

“I’ll be careful,” I replied.  And I ever so carefully, and with great curiosity, I handed the thing back to her as she lie there smiling at me.  As soon as the transfer was completed (and to my horror), she noisily ATE it!

“What happened?” I asked.

“Oh, that was Dee Dee”, she said.  “Dee Dee was a mushroom!”

Every once in a while, I ask her about Dee Dee.  She tells me to check her belly button.

No comments: